Tuesday, May 23, 2006

music when the lights go out

and again a flurry of days have passed since I last updated. so where are we now?

well, the BMDP have just come off several huge recruitment drives and I've been sending official emails as 'Claudia Chang, Chairperson, Somethingood 2006' all over the place - unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that a title least impresses where it most needs to impress. so really in the face of the world I am just toddling around asking for money. not the most charming of images. grins.

over the past couple of weeks, however, what's really begun to come together are our opening and closing events (the latter more than the former). and I'm really excited to tell you all that we will be closing the festival with 4 great bands - A Vacant Affair, Auburn's Epiphany, West Grand Boulevard and ZHEN. I'll post more details and a poster you can stick on your locker when we've confirmed the venue.

for the opening event, we're probably going to do a simple ceremony - Jane Prior, the chairperson of the BMDP will say a few words, so will our Guest of Honour, after that we'll have a group open the busking for us. we've not yet confirmed who this mysterious Group will be, but I assure you, Good Things are happening.

right! we're also approaching people who could probably help us out by donating funds to print t-shirts and rent PA systems, so I'm hoping that every cent our buskers raise on that hot, sweltering day itself goes to the BMDP. where it should go.

hmm... we've also got some publicity material on the way (shiny posters and things like that) but we've got to confirm sponsorship first, so we can thank them in a grand manner. ;) when that's happened, I'll be posting them here as well so you can stick them on your friend's locker.

regarding licensing: we've filed for the police licenses (the house-to-house and the public entertainment) but we have yet to file for the MDA license because we're still waiting on people to send their details in! so if you want to register, do it soon, ya? and how soon do I mean? HOW SOON IS NOW! grins. but yeah. do send it in as soooon as posssssssible.

I should add a note about logistics - basically the golden, silver and bronze rule is that if you need logistics outside of what we can provide (chairs, PA system) then you would have to justify that. it's going to cost us money to bring this stuff in so we can't take money out of the public's pocket without putting it back. yup. so I hope those concerned about what we can and can't provide will bear this in mind. for the opening and closing events, we're working with a musical equipment company (heh, I think you can guess which one) for sponsorship.

the image of a busker I have in my mind is really closely tied to the regular buskers I see everywhere, in jurong point, junction 8, the orchard underpasses, where have you. it isn't so much about getting heard than it is about just being heard, if you know what I mean. yeah, if you listen to the libertines (whom I have just turned on for the first time since last year) you should be playing france, not what became of the likely lads.

0 comments

post a comment

<< back to the main page